I have been thinking the last few days about this past year and how it came together for me. In a funny sense, I reread my blog post from last year and I reflected on where I was then and where I am now. My mind, body and soul feel nourished but I push on wanting more for 2014. I started last year with someone being negative towards my writing and letting me know they think my Facebook and blogging is me bragging about my life. Wow – so totally not what I am trying to accomplish. It saddened me that is all they could see about me. Funny too, they are such a coward they shadowed themselves behind a false name and ‘pretend’ to be a friend to me on Facebook. So this year I want to put right out there – you go ‘pretender’ – obviously you seek to be part of something better but lack the skills and abilities to interact as an adult. This person chose to lash out at me – I have to wonder why? Jealously, inner anger, unhappiness – who knows – what I can tell you: I am blessed. I have an amazing husband, I have unshakable friendships, I have wonderful connections professionally and personally and I work really hard for the pleasures I receive in life.
Life this past year taught me some more great lessons. I still am in awe every day of youth and families and their resiliency. I love that people believe that life can be better. I also learned that sad times give us time to wonder and worry but that push past that place is worth it. I saw the importance this last year in friendship and over-coming hard times, differences, hurts and the reality that we are all who were are. I learned I am not made for politics and I hate, hate, hate it and the cut-throat games that go along with it. I was proud of some of the candidates and disappointed in others. My loyalties were pushed and I realized that deep inside, most people really are out for themselves. I am not sure why I am constantly amazed that people are not altruistic but I am. I saw more sunrises and they made me smile. I spent more time just hanging with my husband and remembering that our best times seem to be the small stupid things we do in life and not the big fancy trips etc. I laughed with friends and loved every moment of that. I got to watch friends accomplish great professional and personal successes this past year. I am constantly proud of my friends and their business ventures, their giving back to the community and families. I got to be with children and love them for the unique and quirky selves. I got to strive forward past change again and learn to accept the things I cannot change and believe I can be more. (This is still something that is really difficult for me). I got to continue to learn and also share that with my husband and watch him go back to school this past year. That makes me so proud of him. I watched my dog animals also love life and continue to just be happy and what a joy to watch simplicity at its best!
Wow – 2013 was pretty darn good. I could focus on the difficult times but why? The difficult times are always around us. They feed the soul to go after something more. The grief and loss I experienced this past year with deaths, and changes in relationships made me appreciate the ones I have even more.
2014 sprung upon us and I was so glad I got to spend it with a special family and just be. The night had joy in it. Children excited and happy to be part of something grand. We sang, laughed, played games and hung out as a family. We banged pots – yes it must be a BC thing and we drank sparkling apple juice and counted down into the new year. It is here 2014 – full, vibrant, ready for life, change, loss, love, trials and tribulations and joy – lots of joy. I want this to be the year I say – ‘fuck yah” (sorry for language but I am who I am). I want it to be personal bests, and working for the greater picture of all and to be inclusive to all people who are part of my life or who are going to be new parts of my life this year.
Every year I think of things I want to do and this is the year for new – new what? Well I want to give back to my community. I think about it and I sometimes do small things but I want more. I want to sleep at night and know I am a small part of that unknown big. I like to think I am a star important to the big sky that my shining does add to the entire night sky.
So here goes the 2014 plans…
1. I had 12 people via Facebook share a day in one of the months of the year. On that day I am going to do whatever the number is and give back to the community. It will be in honor of that person. My first one for 2014 is Jan 22. It is for Lindsay – an amazing woman from Victoria BC who is a stellar stylist. She creates hair, she builds peoples self confidence and she is a giver, she gives to her family, friends and community. So for her – I am putting together hair care packages – 22 of them and will deliver them to the shelter for people so they can have a good brush, nice shampoo etc to move into this new year. I will do this each month for the person who sent me a number and month and I am going to try and think of things they like and do it in their honor.
2. I am really excited that my husband joined in and we both sat down with slips of paper for the entire year and each month we wrote an activity we would like to do for that month with each other. We put it in a envelope and sealed them and will open them on the first of each month and figure out how to build that into our month. We cracked open Jan 2014 and we are going to spend an evening creating a new soup together and the other activity is to go for a late night winter drive with hot chocolate and traverse about together. I am super excited to see what else the year brings for us.
3. I am going to do some giving back on my birthday – still a work in progress but something I am plotting as we speak.
4. I am going to Zumba, yoga, swim and go back to meditation.
5. I also asked Facebook friends for things they would like to do with me this year and I am going to get those things accomplished and look forward to spending some time with some unbelievable people.
6. I am going to continue to blog but I am going to start with a once a month due to time, school, work etc in my life.
I could go on and on as I have so many things I want to do but here is where I begin. These top 6 are my main ones and I will be excited to report on how they go. Thank you to all the people that make my life wonderful. I am thankful and excited to journey with you. I can’t wait to continue to share ideas and be creative and learn how I can be part of more in 2014. There is no time like the present to seize it and live it. I figure life has plenty to offer and how lucky am I to get to do it.
Happy 2014 – go in peace and harmony and enjoy it.